Monday 26 May 2014

Simple Living Sunday 28


This post is a little late as our internet was down all day yesterday so it's time for a little catch up. As you can see from this week's basket, we finally got a couple of eggs from our two girls. Yay!! The star fruit in the basket were given to me, but they add a little colour to an otherwise green basket. An indian lime pickle, and lime chutney are on the to-do list this week.


On Saturday I visited the amazing community gardens in Yandina. They adopt all of the Permaculture principles and I had a fascinating wander around which I will post about another time.


I was thrilled to discover that they sell plants....really cheap. I bought a Pepino, Strawberry, Herb Robert, Gotu Kola, Comfrey, Nasturtium (red), two arrowroot tubers, and the large plant is a Cassava. These cost me a grand total of $15!! I will be back.


The main reason I went to the gardens was to attend a free workshop on cooking and preparing tropical food. It was a fantastic workshop, I tasted many unusual dishes, brought home some goodies, and met some wonderful people...all for free!! The above image is of banana-leaf wrapped Cassava desert. More on that later :)


This cabbage is just starting to look like one now.


Amazing how much this little eggplant has grown in a week.


The corn is starting to take shape.


The caterpillars love the cauliflowers and kale in the water tank garden so I have now sprayed with bio-organic Dipel.


Nothing  has managed to find the kale in the gum tree garden though. They are thriving!


This is where I am planning my food forest. The fruit trees are going in and then I will work on the understory planting. A big job but very exciting!


I have found if I place some cardboard (half an egg carton in this case) under the pumpkins, then they thrive away from the damp grass.


There are still many bees hovering around doing their job. Yay!


The Tigerella tomatoes are starting to fruit.


I received an amazing batch of seeds from Fair Dinkum Seeds, a great local business which I will be featuring later in the week...together with a description of the unusual and exotic seeds they gave me.


So, I happily spent the afternoon potting up some seeds to put in my lovely new hothouse. These can thrive during winter, and I will plant out when the risk of frost is over. There are other seeds which I will be planting direct over the coming weeks.


Finally I couldn't resist a photo of breakfast. Look at the colour in those scrambled eggs! Absolutely beautiful.

I hope you had a wonderful weekend. I would love to hear what you have been up to :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...