Monday 14 October 2013

Monday Menu Planning Link Up 2

Another week has flown by already. I did reasonably well sticking to my menu for last week. I did swap two days around and had the Orange Beef Stir Fry last night, which I have featured as my recipe of the week in this post.


I also changed the Coconut and Peanut chicken to a Chicken Carbonara at the kids request. I did not need to buy any extra ingredients, and this week I bought enough meat to last for ten meals so next weeks grocery spend should be less - doesn't always seem to work that way. Last night was a roast dinner and I made the meatballs for tonight in advance so it is quick to prepare when I get home from Gym. I am on holidays from work starting on Wednesday so I have the luxury of preparing some dinners that take a little more time.


Monday            Baked Meatballs in tomato sauce with mixed vegetables
Tuesday           Chicken Enchildas with salsa and sour cream
Wednesday      Lemon Pepper Fish with homemade baked chips
Thursday          Beef Lasagne and Salad
Friday               Thai Prawn Curry and Couscous
Saturday           Tuna Patties with mashed potato and vegetables
Sunday             Chicken Parmigiana with potato bake and vegetables


Recipe of the Week - Orange Beef Stir-Fry

500g Rump Steak
2 tsp ginger (fresh or minced)
1 1/2 cups orange juice
2 dsp cornflour
2 tsp garlic
1 tsp fresh or minced chilli
4 cups stir-fry vegetables
1/2 cup chicken stock
1 cup brown rice or quinoa
2 mandarins or 1 orange, peeled and segmented

Boil water in a saucepan and add the rice or quinoa. Allow to boil for approx. 20 minutes, then drain and rinse.

Marinate finely sliced steak in one cup of the orange juice, and all of the cornflour, chili, garlic and ginger for one hour.


Stir fry the vegetables and when cooked set aside. 


Add marinated beef to the pan and cook over high heat until done. Add cooked vegetables and combine.


I then added some of my pak choi, spring onion and spinach from the garden and mixed through, heating gently for a minute or so. Then add the mandarin or orange.


The finished result is a very clean and flavoursome stir-fry which is mild enough for children to enjoy. You could add more chilli if you prefer it to be hot. My husband adds chilli sauce afterwards. This meal will serve 4-5 people and is a great way to stretch out a $5 piece of steak which I bought on special. The whole meal cost less than $10.

Hope you enjoyed the featured recipe this week. Each week I will feature the best dinner from the week before.

Have a great week! What are you having for dinner?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...