Thursday 21 November 2013

Simple Living Christmas


For the first time since I was little and used to give the folks presents I had made at school, I have decided to adopt my new simple living principles and have a handmade Christmas. I have decided to put together a gift box/basket for each family, filled with yummy gourmet (I want it to look classy) goodies that I will make. I finish up work on the 20th December for two weeks and this gives me a very generous four days before Christmas to bake anything that won't keep. Other items I can get started on now, as well as shopping and stocking up on the ingredients I will need to complete my wish list. Maybe some of these ideas will inspire you too.

Spiced Beetroot and Orange Chutney

Funnily enough I am not a big fan of beetroot but this does look delicious and has apple in it as well. Plus, I just love the colour and think it will look amazing in my gift box. I have some beetroot growing so will be able to use my produce as well. I have already spotted some nice inexpensive glass jars which will be perfect.


Bread and Butter Pickles

I have made this before and chose it for it's interesting appeal and colour, plus the fact that I have a lot of cucumbers in the garden at the moment. I will be able to start on this one straight away.


Cherry Tomato Relish

In a couple of weeks I will be overrun with excess cherry tomatoes so I thought I would give this relish another go. I made it earlier in the year and have used it a lot in pasta as an interesting base.


Whole-Grain Honey Mustard

I was given some beautiful honey from one of my neighbours so this will be the perfect recipe to showcase the gorgeous flavour...and I love a good mustard.

Parmesan Grissini

I thought these would go perfectly with the relish and chutney and look interesting in the box. I would call them bread sticks but parmesan grissini sounds so much better!


Paleo Spiced Nuts

I love the look of these nuts and have always wanted to make my own spice mixture. I love this recipe as it is so simple and I only have to buy the nuts, everything else is already in the pantry.

Fig Cookies

I really like the look of these cookies. They will add further interest and texture to my gift plus the fig filling sounds delicious...and definitely gourmet.

Chocolate Chai Syrup

The minute I saw this I knew I had to make it...just to see what it tastes like. It goes with the gourmet theme of my present and will be an interesting talking point.

Cream Cheese Shortbread with Toasted Walnuts

Wow, who has ever heard of cream cheese shortbread? These are a must. Can't wait to see what they taste like. Of course I will be making extra for my Christmas table.

Mini Christmas Cakes

I have never made a fruit cake before so decided it's about time to give it a go. I intend to make a full sized cake for home (Paul loves it) and some of these smaller ones to put with my gifts.

Assorted Christmas Cookies

I love the colour and textures of these biscuits and their presentation in little Christmas boxes attracted me. I have some Xmas shaped cookie cutters I bought last year so they may get some use here.

Nana Cookies

I thought these were really cute...and I just love piping. I can see these in little organza bags with Christmas Ribbon...can't wait.

Well, if you haven't thought about Christmas presents yet I hope I have inspired you to think about a home baked Christmas Gift. I will keep you up to date with my progress and post each one as I make it...of course they may look different from the pictures but I am sure my family will appreciate the effort and the love that will go into producing every little bite. I like to think of them sitting there with a special bottle of wine, enjoying my little treats...hope everything turns out okay.

Have you ever done a home-made Christmas? Do you like to receive home-made presents?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...