Sunday 12 January 2014

Simple Living Sunday 12


Yay, we finally got to pick a watermelon this week, and yes those are hibiscus flowers...it's a surprise :)


The watermelon is beautifully sweet and juicy but probably could have been picked a little earlier.


This is our massive pumpkin vine I showed you a few weeks ago. You can see how large it is by the trailer behind it.


Well, I am pleased to say, after weeks of only male flowers...we now have a baby pumpkin!


And another one. Yay!


The Tangelo is really starting to fill out now. I should maybe contemplate a larger tub.


The peanut plant recovered, and after I took this photo I noticed a flower so I think we may have some peanuts underground.


The camphor laurel tree is still home to this cherry tomato plant. maybe that's what the goanna was going for last week. Think it has to go.


The kale is still going strong in the gumtree garden. I will plant some more so I always have a constant supply.


This is the Aloe Vera I was given at the herb farm. It has grown well but its leaves are not as plump as my others so it won't produce as much gel.


Did I mention I have a dam? I don't think I have posted it before. The water is pretty low now.


But I am pleased that the lilypads I pinched from our cousin's property have settled in. I love a dam covered with lilypads.


These cracks show just how dry it has been, despite a few storms this week. It's amazing to think that we can flood or drought. Gotta love Australia.


And the squash just keep going! I was out pollinating them yesterday morning and was stunned to see a bee doing its job. I wasn't quick enough to catch it on camera though.


This is my Hibiscus surprise. Hibiscus iced tea! Very yummy and extremely good for your cardiovascular system. Will post more about this during the week!


I made Cheery Tomato Relish from last weeks harvest. These are the jars Paul gave me as part of my Christmas present. I sterilised and kept the jars hot, put the hot relish in and turned them upside down for 15 minutes (as per the instructions)....


...and the lid seals popped down in the middle, creating a vacuum and making it easy to tell if they retain freshness. Now I can keep them in the cupboard instead of the fridge. Very clever.


I finally got some cooler weather and had alot of fun making cottage cheese. It tastes nothing like what I usually buy. It is creamier and has tons more flavour...without the preservatives. A further post to follow.


This is the whey that was leftover and there are so many amazing things you can make from it...


...including Ricotta cheese. Two cheeses in one weekend. Now I feel like a real simple earth mother haha.

So, what did you get up to this week? I love trying new things. Did you do anything different?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...