Monday 21 July 2014

Simple Living Sunday 35


Gee Monday's roll around so quickly don't they? We went over our usage for the internet this weekend so were unable to use it - when they slow the satellite speed down it is non existent. It has still been a weird week of weather with frosts and two days of gale force winds - my greenhouse ended up in the gully and I had a lot of cleaning up to do around the yard.


Another pest problem...something has been eating this pumpkin. I would guess at possums or bandicoots.


So, I have now moved them upstairs to keep an eye on them. I cover them each night due to frost and dew, and am hoping they will ripen soon so I can store them downstairs, away from hungry critters.


I opened up the frost-bitten corn to give to the chooks and it did not form very well...only half a cob. Better luck with that next time.


Another loss is the cape gooseberry. This is a shot of an unripened berry...they go yellow when ripe.


But the frost has attacked it and the berries did not drop so I never got to see what they taste like.


The cauliflower is coming back and getting leafy again now that the caterpillars are under control.


This spark of colour is from a bougainvillea forgotten in a pot underneath the gum trees.


My husband loves nothing better than lighting a fire, so he did a lot of burning off with the long grass from the pumpkin patch.


This is my new toy - my birthday present from money given to me by my dad and sister. It is a 5 in 1 multicooker which has a pressure cook and slow cook function.


I made this beef stew in 30 mins using the pressure cooker so I can see huge benefits in terms of time.


You can also brown the meat in the pan, which saves on dishes too. The other functions are steaming and soup making so I can see I will get adventurous during my holidays next week.


I have even prepped another meal for the week. I have boiled the sausages to remove fat and taken the skins off. I will pop this in the pressure cooker with some water when I get home from work...easy, peasy dinner.

What did you get up to this weekend?



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...