Monday 11 August 2014

Simple Living Sunday 38



It was a beautiful weekend here in Tandur. Overcast with a sprinkle of rain on Saturday and the promise of more next weekend. It is very dry here now and some heavier falls would be most welcome. I have spent most of my spare time in the garden lately getting my beds ready for Spring planting. I forgot to photograph my basket of goodies yesterday so the one above is from a couple of weeks ago but with the same content. Otherwise there would just be a boring photo of my garden beds as the header.


This a shot looking down the length of my eventual food forest. I have now moved the mulch aside through the middle to create a path so that I can easily access both sides of the bed. I have not yet decided whether to edge this garden. As it will have large trees eventually I would prefer not to, but I will see whether the grass can be controlled with regular mowing.


This is a close up shot of the pathway, showing how well the layers have composted, and how well the grass underneath has been contained.


This is the completed extension of the side garden, complete with a curious Alfie. He absolutely loves spending time in the garden with me. I will plant vegetables all along this bed.


This Tuscan kale is growing really well, with new growth in the centre...now that the caterpillars have been controlled.


The corn has been cleared and the water tank garden has been fertilised and mulched, ready for its next round of produce.


I have repurposed the old outdoor shower and toilet block into a potting shed...


...a handy place to store all of my gardening tools and soil, very close to my main gardens and greenhouse. I spent the afternoon yesterday potting seedlings to get a head start before September planting.


This is the inside of a cauliflower...can't see a head beneath all of the layers.


I am contemplating using this old barrel to plant potatoes. I have never grown them before but thought I would give it a go.


I finally used the pallets I picked up from the Red Cross, and made a compost pile, closer to the house and gardens than my one out the front.


I will take a bag of limes into work tomorrow as they are now starting to drop onto the ground and I don't want to waste any. We have them with our water every day, and I will juice some next weekend to put in the freezer.


This is my next patch to tackle. The grass grew long here through the pumpkin vine. Paul wants to burn it but I would prefer to cut it back and not leave a charred mess on the ground...so near to the house.


I have been recyling the water from the vacola onto my herbs on the verandah.


And I have started using the bokashi bucket again. Most of the scraps go to the chickens but there are some things they don't eat which can be made into valuable compost.


My herb robert plant in the centre is finally starting to flourish and I put it into my smoothie every morning.


Unfortunately the brahmi is looking a little worse for wear. I am hoping it will rejuvenate with the warmer weather.

So, that's my place in a nutshell. What did you get up to this weekend?


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...