Monday 18 November 2013

Monday Menu Plan - Chilli Squash

I have kept my meal plan pretty simple this week as I have a lot of things to catch up on at home. Yesterday I cooked a big batch of chilli con carne  in the crockpot (my favourite thing to use on a busy weekend) and will use that for my lunches as well as a base for meals early in the week. To make the chilli I just chopped up all my leftover vegies (cauliflower, cabbage, tomatoes, sweet potato, onion), then added 500g lean mince (raw), a tin of kidney beans and a tin of lentils, a packet of chilli con carne mix and water. This simmered on low all day and is really flavoursome. It is not a hot chilli so the kids will eat it too.

Good news on the budgeting this week too. As I have been regularly harvesting from the vegie patch I was able to keep my spend down to $140. For two weeks now I have come under budget. The big difference has also been utilising everything and cutting down on wastage. I am horrified at the amount of food we used to toss away because it went stale or was forgotten at the back of the fridge. So, I have now paid the $200 deposit for a getaway for Paul and I....a Christmas surprise for him. Here is my menu this week:

Monday - Chilli Con Carne
Tuesday - Swagman's Roll with mashed potato and vegies
Wednesday - Chilli Burritos with salsa and guacamole
Thursday - Creamy Tomato Chicken with Potato Bake
Friday - Lemon and Pepper Prawns with Quinoa
Saturday - Braised Steak Casserole with rice
Sunday - Chicken Parmigiana with salad

Chilli Stuffed Lebanese Squash

Last night I did not stick to the menu plan. Instead I got creative with my beautiful squash.


First I cut it in half lengthwise and scooped out the soft centre with the seeds (which I have put out to dry and store).

I then spooned some of my chilli mixture into the centre and covered it with low fat grated cheese and parmesan cheese.


I put the half squash on a baking tray and used half an onion to keep it steady. 


It took around 40 minutes for the squash to soften in a moderate oven. The squash was firm so if you like it soft and squishy you could bake for longer.


I then cut it into slices and served it up with some potato bake. 

What's on the menu at your place this week? Have you tried anything new?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...