Monday 3 February 2014

Green Mango Chutney




Mangoes are plentiful in Gympie at the moment (so many people have a tree) and I was given some large green ones. My immediate thought was to make a green mango chutney but I did not realise that even though these mangoes had green skins and were very firm, they were almost ripe. Oh well, I went ahead with the recipe anyway...with great results.



Ingredients

4 cups green (underripe) mangoes - peeled, seeded and diced
1/2 cup sultanas (I used raisins)
1/4 cup red chillies, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, crushed
1 1/2 tbs grated fresh ginger root
1 1/2 tbs lemon zest
1 tbs black pepper
2 tbs golden syrup (I used treacle I had left over from my Xmas cake)
1 small cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
1 cup water
1 cup cider vinegar


Place the mango, sultanas, chillies, garlic, ginger, lemon zest, black pepper, golden syrup, cinnamon and cloves into a large saucepan.


Pour in the water and vinegar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low. 


Simmer uncovered until a jam like consistency, probably about 30 minutes.


Once thickened, pour into hot sterilised jars and seal. I turned these jars upside down as per the instructions and the seal popped inwards, creating the perfect vacuum. These will store for 2-3 months on the shelf, and once opened in the fridge for a couple of weeks.


The chutney is sweet, aromatic and has a distinct mango flavour. It goes perfect with curries, or as a garnish with fish, chicken or steak. Now I will hunt down some green mangoes to see what difference they make :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...