Friday 14 February 2014

One Little Word 2014 - Mindfulness

Image Source
Last month I began an accidentally inspiring journey. It all started when I read a post on Maxabella Loves about choosing a word for 2014. The concept was new to me but I could see its potential and straight away I knew the word I would choose, because I had written about it's influence on me last year (What is Mindfulness). Yes, this is my word for 2014, and some of you will have already read my post about why I chose it (Why Mindfulness?) Basically, I need to slow down, stop racing ahead and embrace the present moment.


The above image depicts exactly how I see Mindfulness and the role it will play in my life this year.

I find in life that one path generally leads to another one, and by chance, I heard someone mention Ali Edward's One Little Word program. I found her site Ali Edwards and registered straight away - a mere $31 for twelve months of prompts and support. I did not know what to expect from this program but I am discovering just how powerful one little word can be in the context of your life. This program also offers me the accountability I was seeking in order to make this concept work for me.

"In 2006 I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January – a word that I can focus on, mediate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. My words have included play, peace, vitality, nurture, story, light, up and open. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They’ve been imbedded into who I am, and into who I’m becoming. They’ve been what I’ve needed (and didn’t know I needed). They’ve helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow." Ali Edwards 


It all started with planning somewhere special to record my 2014 One Little Word journey. I chose the We R Memory Keepers album suggested by Ali. It is a quality faux leather album with stitched edging and will last many, many years. Ali also suggests having your word with you personally, like on a necklace or bracelet. I bought a mug with a picture of a lotus flower and my word printed on it, to have my coffee in at work


I had some scrapbooking supplies that I bought over the years but have never used...it was always something I planned to do eventually - like so many other things.


On the first day of the month Ali provides you with printable pages for your album pockets and the prompts for completion of the material. This page includes a definition and symbol for my word, plus a photograph that epitomises a time in my life when I was mindful and thrived in the present moment.


Without giving the exact details away, you are encouraged to search for quotes and examine why you chose your word and to define your successes and fears.


Each month you summarise what happened the month before in relation to your life and your word.


And you record what your intentions are for the year. I chose some physical, emotional, financial and relationship intentions for 2014. These intentions have been translated into action items, which include things that make me happy such as pursuing my cheesemaking, taking on some volunteer work, spending quality time with my boys, utilising my old fish farm for my simple living goals, raising chickens etc. My actions also include goals to pay off my credit card, attain my goal weight and to drink more water. All of these actions are mindful....to me, and for me, to embrace and appreciate my moments in time.

So, if you feel like you want to try something different and experiment with an interesting concept that thousands of people around the world are embracing, I am sure it's not too late. There is a large Facebook Group of supportive and fascinating people from all works of life that you can share your journey with...and you get to play with glue and coloured paper - bonus! :)

Funny how some things find you for a reason. Are you doing or embracing something that found you this year? Have you ever done One Little Word (OLW)?

I can see I will have many leatherbound albums for my grandkids to flick through.













Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...